Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Transitioning...again.

Hello! I haven't blogged in awhile but I NEED to blog today.

Life is great but busy. I got my new position at work, PRAISE THE LORD! I needed insurance so I can get my health concerns under control and now I am going to be able to do so. However I am having to work 40 hours min per week. Couple this with homeschool and my health problems and I have been stretched VERY thin.

We have been homeschooling since July and we honestly have had a ball so far. Don't get me wrong it is SUCH a challenge but it has been so much fun. That is why the decision I am facing is b.r.e.a.k.i.n.g me. I know God led me to homeschool. I felt it so strongly and I still feel such a great need to educate my children. However I am not super woman and I am putting in some MAJOR hours right now at work. I honestly have no choice. I need back surgery that means I need insurance and my job is the only way to provide that insurance. I have prayed so hard about all of this and I feel very defeated at the idea of "giving in" and putting my children back in school.

The only sense I can make of it is that God wants me to take a more active role in my children's education. I plan on still teaching the Science portion of our curriculum because I know they are not learning about creation at school and it is my job to teach them the truth. I have also developed a new love of reading with my children that will continue no matter what I decided to do. We have also made daily bible study priority and I want that to continue as well. But is that enough? Is that enough to satisfy the longing God has given me to teach these children? I am not sure. But I do know that my plate is full and the last thing I want is my children's education suffering because of something I have done or not done. Opinions, comments, and general chatter are welcome but please be gentle and kind...even if your opinion is that I am making a huge mistake say it in love. I want to hear what you guys think. Is there anyone out there that supplements what the schools teach...how is that working for you?!

Also please pray for my children the school they were going to is very crowded and has lost a few teachers so we may have to make a switch to a new school. They are both ok with it but I am worried about how they will fit in. Please pray for my family during this time.

In Christ Alone,

Sherri

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherri,
    Don't beat yourself up over this..
    ...There is a time for everything,and a season for every activity under heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1

    Sometimes.. God calls us to another path. I thought at one time that He had called me to homeshcooling our kids..I had friends that were doing it.. I had blogging friends that were doing it.. but, after much prayer.. He confirmed that He did not "call" me to it.
    Yes! It's our job to teach them the instruction of the Lord. But, look at what a BLESSING and example your children can & WILL be to some of those in school .. who don't know.. Christ!

    I will be praying for you and them with this change in life. He will see you thru it!
    Hugs!
    Keisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, I really struggled with the homeschool vs. public school issue this year, but when we found out that Andrew was deploying that made the decision for us. Just good ol' common sense told us that with the deployment and the adoption, starting the homeschool route this year was just too much transition for the kids to handle all at once. And I have to say, God is blessing me immensely by my decision to keep the kids in public school. I have no doubt that it was the right decision...for now. There's no rule that says once you put your kids on one educational path they have to stay there, and the season may very well come where you are able to homeschool somewhere down the road. Just remember that God won't fail you or your kids! :)

    ReplyDelete