Sunday, June 13, 2010

Saturday:Striving for Simplicity

Oh wow it's 11:55 p.m. I guess since I am starting this post before midnight I can let it count for my Saturday Striving for Simplicity post!
One thing that I feel has made our life a little simpler is that we decided to cut our cable off. I know I know I once was a girl that had NEVER been without at least 60 channels but when I lost my job over 3 years ago we knew some things would have to go and that was one of the things we couldn't fit into our budget. Honestly I still do miss having Food Network and I miss being able to watch all of the football games that we love but if there is a game we really want to see we can always go to a family members and I can watch Food Network on-line. I have noticed that I am MUCH more productive without cable. We still have our local channels but once our news goes off I normally turn the TV off. I think that not having 24 hours of cartoons to watch forces the kids to find ways to entertain themselves.

Now that I am working part time again we have only talked about turning cable back on once and we quickly decided against it. For now we have PLENTY to keep busy with and I am afraid that we would get nothing done if we had too many choices for entertainment. Plus we have time to do things that we didn't do before.

One thing that we do that I absolutely love is we eat dinner around the table every.single.day. This gives us a chance to talk about our day and just take a breather from everything else. We have been getting interrupted by the phone a lot lately, maybe I'll start turning the ringer off...who knows!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

In Christ Alone,

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! I love that you've turned off cable....Thank you so much for sharing....and fyi...i usually don't end the blog linky thing till Monday sometime...so never feel like you can't post on Sunday or early Monday...I would even leave it on longer, but then it would run into Memorial Box Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherri, I saw your Striving for Simplicity post on Linny's blog and moseyed on over. I, too, have been without cable for almost six years and honestly do not plan to go back. Initially I thought the "sacrifice" would be difficult to handle; however, it actually freed up a lot of time to rediscover my love for reading, spending time outdoors, and entertaining with dinner gatherings at home. Now, don't get me wrong, I do miss HGTV and the Food Network, but I can quickly view a show snippet when I hanker for decorating ideas, recipes, and cooking tips. :)

    It sounds like your family is discovering great ways to utilize the time gained from not have cable. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete