Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Box Monday: The Purple Heart


Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

I am very grateful to live in a country where my freedoms are protected but I have often heard it said that freedom isn't free, it costs some men and women everything. I am very proud that my grandfather, Jack L. Epperson Sr. fought in WWII. He received the Purple Heart. 

I want to tell the story of how he received his Purple Heart for my Memorial Box Monday this week. During a battle my grandfather, Papaw Jack as we called him, was shot in the leg. He in turn shot the German soldier who shot him, killing him, the German soldier fell on top of him. Later the Germans were walking around stabbing any injured American soldiers with their bayonets when they came to my grandfather they saw the blood from the German soldier and the German soldier on top of  him and they thought he was dead so they did not stab him. When the German soldiers had passed he was able to push the dead soldier off of him and crawl until he found two twin Medics. The twins were not tall enough to enlist as soldiers so they joined the forces as medics. The medics took turns dragging my grandfather through the snow until they got him back to another group of American soldiers. They got him to a medical unit and eventually back home to marry my grandmother who he had met while working for her fathers saw mill. I can't help but see the hand of God all over this situation. God protected him and kept him safe and brought him back to be the Patriarch of our family. Papaw Jack was a wonderful man who spent his retired days when I came along taking me to eat Apple Pie's and planting potatoes in the garden. I don't believe I would be the woman I am today without his love poured all over my childhood. I am very thankful that God spared his life and I am thankful for those two twin medics who weren't "tall enough for the team". I believe that my aunt has my Papaw Jack's purple heart but I know it will eventually be passed to me and when it is I will add it to my Memorial Box to remind us that God will protect in every situation and that even when men say you aren't enough God can make you be exactly what a wounded warrior needs. I included a few pictures from the Memorial Day event we attended this morning, and also one of my beloved Papaw Jack from his days in WWII. Happy Memorial Day everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Tears. Thankful for Almighty God's protection over your Papaw Jack. Thankful for the heighth of two very brave medics...Thankful for all who gave their lives for our freedom. Thankful for you taking the time to tell the story to remind all who read it that there is always a price for our freedom...xo PS Love the pictures and your Papaw Jack?? Wow! One handsome soldier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sweet words! I think he was handsome too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story of God's protection Sherri, and of of how He can use anyone of any size to do His work! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Blessings~

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's Hand in the past and present is an AWESOME thing to witness! Thank you for sharing this...stunning testimony of God's working in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible story!!! Thank you Papaw Jack for your service and sacrifice!!! And praise God for His protection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for always coming by my blog to read my MMB...and for your faith-filled comments...and thank you today for this story of how God protected your sweet Papaw Jack. What a legacy! What a wonderful God with His beautiful plan for your Papaw's life. Jeremiah 29:11 certainly can be claimed here and for all of us..

    ReplyDelete