Monday, May 24, 2010

Memorial Box Monday ~ Homeschooling on a Shoestring



We made the decision to homeschool a month or so ago, we prayed about it and thought about it for sometime before that and we felt that God was leading us to do it. So I researched curriculum and I picked it all out and priced it and I was thinking it would cost us about $599. Well I found out about several used book sales in the area so on Thursday I went to two of them and when I walked into the first place I found Sarah's grammar book that I was prepared to pay almost $20 plus tax and shipping for and it was only $10.00. Well we left there and went to another sale and I told my Step-Sister Ashley and the kids what I was looking for, the places was crowded and we were about 10th in line to go in, when the doors opened the first table I went to had my Science curriculum and the lady there told me the workbooks were free on-line, the book was only $15.00 so the Science that I was prepared to spend $140.00 on cost me $15.00! A few minutes later Ashley yelled for me and she had found my History curriculum for $15.00 and it was in great shape! We also found some teaching aids and a large map there and I got about $100.00 worth of History Curriculum for about $38.00. Well I had been a little on the fence about what to do for Colton's Grammar curriculum and I really wanted the Charlotte Mason Simply Grammar but it was a little pricy so I was going to settle for another book, well guess what I found at the sale?! A NEVER used Simply Grammar book for $10.00! So I spent $63.00 and got every bit of my curriculum except for the Simply Spelling book I want and our Math Curriculum (still a little on the fence with what to use there...any suggestions?!).



I knew I felt God leading me into this path but I can tell you it sure felt GREAT to have the material I needed practically handed to me for a small percentage of what I planned on paying. Not to mention I also wanted some organizational shelves and things for my homeschool room and I got the cubes I have stared at for several months on CLEARANCE for $19.00 each, and I found a great little three shelf organizer at a yard sale for $3.00 and at one of the book fairs a lady had a rolling shelf for sale and as she picked it up to show it to me the top shelf broke and she said "Oh well, you can have it for $1.00" well I gave her a dollar and my husband fixed it in about 10 seconds.

Our map and a few posters and charts.

My beloved cubes with our curriculum inside!

A poster and a Cursive Alphabet guide.

The window into my kitchen and two pie graph’s the kids did today.

Mom’s corner, my chair, my yard sale find (on the right), and some art supplies.

A close up of the cubes.

I have only spent $200.00 on anything to do with homeschooling and a family member emailed me to tell me they want to give me $100.00 toward our supplies so I really have only spent $100.00! Praise the Lord for His Provision! So here are some pictures of my new homeschool room! Praise God for giving us just what we need when we need it! I will put a picture of my beloved cubes in my memorial box to remind me that when you say "YES!" to God's way he will provide everything you need to walk the path.

2 comments:

  1. Sherri,

    Homeschooling? Yippee Jesus!! I am so proud of you and WOW look how God provided for it..that's stinkin' awesome!!

    Math? We have really loved Saxon Math. It is very systematic...easy for me to understand (and I NEVER was a Math whiz) when one of my treasures needs some help with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I home-schooled! Maybe in the future? I found these links to a cool book I really like and posted about in January.
    http://almyfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/2010/01/daisy-comes-home-childrens-story-about.html

    Maybe it will be a good resource for you even beyond this particular book? They pull many things together, although I'm not sure what grade they are aimed at. Here are the links separate from my blog or you can go read about the book on my blog and the links are there too.

    http://www.homeschoolshare.com/daisy_comes_home.php

    http://www.writingfix.com/Picture_Book_Prompts/Daisy_Comes_Home3.htm


    Blessings!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete