Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Roe's Get Schooled

To Homeschool or not to Homeschool that is the question...


Well we have been praying and thinking and praying and thinking and we are down to the wire now. We really need to decide what we are going to do about school next year.

We LOVE our school and we had WONDERFUL teachers this year but I have been uneasy lately. I don't know if any other mom's feel this way or not but I just feel like God has called me to an awesome ministry...MOTHERHOOD....and then he gave me two little precious gifts that I chose to call Sarah Ann and Colton Jack and I enjoyed them and loved them and took care of them and then they turned 5 and I sent them away for 7 hours everyday. 7 hours a day I give them into the hands of others to mold them and teach them. Now I can tell you that if I think for one second that they have been taught something contrary to the Word of God I tell them that whoever taught them that was WRONG. End of story. My dad likes to say the Word of God is truth and every man a liar. I agree. But for 7 hours I don't have the ability to speak in their ear and tell them that God loves them and that I love them. For 7 hours they don't read the bible one time, for 7 hours I don't see their smiles or kiss their lips. That's somewhere around 1260 hours a year that I lose with them. And that is just not ok with me.

The second issue is that Colton is behind in reading. He is reading at 2nd grade 1st month and he is about to be finished with 2nd grade. I think that he needs more one on one time to get him on grade level or better yet ahead of grade level. In every other subject Colton is on target or ahead. Sarah is ahead in almost every subject and I am afraid she is getting a little bored. I just think I could fashion a school day for them that would cater to both of their needs and wants. I know this would be a BIG task and I don't think it's for wimps...which I tend to be a little wimpy...lol. But I just keep feeling God drawing me to do this.

I have a friend that I met back in China in September of 2008 who just happens to live in the same state as me (about 2 hours away) who homeschools. I have gotten lots of advice from her and I have actually decided to use some of the same literature as she is using (ok actually all the same literature but what can I say it all looked GREAT and I know nothing about where to start so I figured if we do this for and something doesn't fit with my kiddos I can adjust.) I am so thankful for those connections we make in life that make doing what God is calling us to seem a little more attainable!

Anyway lest we think I just accepted this like a good little girl let me tell you I have thought of several reasons this just wouldn't work...so here is a play by play of what my conversations have been with God...this happened over months not in one setting...THANK GOODNESS because it takes time to admit your wrong, well at least it does for me.

Me: I have to work.
God: Well yes you do but you can work from 3-8 and still get in part-time hours.

Me: I have NO ROOM!
God: Well actually you have a dining room and it is way big enough.
Me: (in a really whiney voice) But then I have to take all of my beautiful pictures down and that is my only "frilly" room.
God: Really Sherri?! What matters most a frilly room or the difference this could make in the lives of your children?!
Me: Wow...flesh stinks. The children matter most of course. (Again I didn't get to that answer without a few weeks and God stepping on my toes a few hundred times.)

Me: What about socialization...they'll turn into weird shy homeschool kids.
God: Their your kids...they are already weird... (HAHA just kidding I thought that on my own but I know He thinks it!)
God: YMCA, BCHE, ECT!

So honestly I am just getting sick of fighting it. I am not sure if Mitch is completely on board or not but I am leaving that up to God if he can convince me to keep my kids home with me 365 days a year I am sure he can convince my husband to let me.

Now that I have given into the fact that this will most likely be the route we take I am actually having fun with it so if there are any other homeschooling mom's who have ideas or advice I am welcome to it!

These are my top five questions for now.

1. What reading curriculum do your recommend?
2. What if my child has an IEP how can I continue to get Speech therapy for him?
3. How long do you devote to each subject (per day)?
4. How do you deal with behavior during school hours? Dad usually does the spanking around here and I would really like to use some other methods during school hours. (I want to say I DO believe in spanking and I feel like it is what I am commanded to do through the Word but I know if they were in school they would be expected to offer great behavior without the threat of spanking and I want to do the same. They are great kids but they FIGHT all the time!)
5. Do you know where I can get any good deals on storage cabinets or bookshelves for our school room?!

I am really looking forward to this...most of all I want to find JOY in our JOURNEY. I also want to do what is pleasing to my Heavenly Father, after all when the day is done that is all that really matters!

In Christ ALONE,

2 comments:

  1. I won't be much help, but I am so excited about homeschooling Ryder in a few years! While I was in college, I worked at the after school program here and in M'boro, and it was then that I started to think about homeschooling. I taught high school at a wonderful public school in M'boro for five years, and I LOVED it, but it only made me even more sure that I wanted to try to homeschool if I had kids. I am so fortunate in that we have a family at church who homeschooled their girls (one who just graduated and one who is a junior) all through their school, and these girls are socially adjusted, well-educated, and spiritually strong (and beautiful and funny, and many other wonderful qualities :) I also have a couple of friends who are homeschooling kids currently in 3rd grade, and they love it, and will be such wonderful assets to us (I hope you will get to meet them, and I know they would be glad to help! My sister has boys Ryder's age, and we have a few other friends with kids Ryder's age that plan to homeschool. So although, I can't help with materials, or pacing, or scheduling, or co ops, I can encourage you that you will have a community of parents who are doing the same and are excited about the opportunities, and willing to take the challenges that homeschooling presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri,
    I just wanted you to know that I am still praying and checking in on you all to see how your needs are changing. WOW. Praise God for your wanting to homeschool. I must admit my heart was pricked and a thought about homeschooling my gifts was born. WOW. I am going to keep praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete